Monday, May 5, 2014

Crazy Goals

Meet me new running shoes.



Yes, I did just say running, as in Heather is running.
This former running-hater has insanely committed to run.....

......a marathon.  

40 has officially gone to my head.  It wasn't even my idea to begin with (I blame that part on Shane) but I was, however, the one to push us over the edge of common sense.  On the night when Shane was waffling with whether to sign up for a half or full marathon, I said: "Let's just do the full marathon.  When am I ever again going to be this close to thinking about something this crazy?  Certainly not when I am any older than right now!"  And so.....we signed up.

And I commenced freaking out after that first week of running.  What in the world did I agree to, no ENCOURAGE us to do????  I found myself somewhere between scared silly and emboldened.  And I still am not sure where to land most days.  

SO for right now I am trying to stay in today, after all that IS usually what I do well.  I am the "live in the moment" girl who really doesn't think much about tomorrow or the next hour.  Week 13 when I run 10 miles and week 26 when I run TWENTY-SIX.  MILES....it's way out there still and looking at that is when I land on scared silly.  But this week my goal is 2.5 miles...and that is all I am choosing to think about.  After all, 4 weeks ago a couple minutes made me winded and tired.  

I still am not really sure why I made this plunge.  It was definitely out of character.  I can blame it on 40 or I can choose to think this might be something bigger for me than exercise and miles conquered.  

I don't really know yet but I'm keeping my head up and eyes and ears open.

One thing is for sure.  If I can begin to wake up at 6:15AM on a regular basis, ANYTHING is possible.   Right now it is the HARDEST thing about training and it's hard to foresee that changing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment