Thursday, January 2, 2014
A good place to begin
This post was written on December 30, 2013:
On the eve of the year 2014, the year of 40, I can't help but think of someone who has been a dear friend for 23 years and some odd months. I've known her longer than I've not known her and her friendship is one I cherish to this day. I hadn't a clue really on the day that I introduced myself to her in the gym of our high school that she would be a forever friend. I was just being nice to a new student and glad to see the potential for a new personality to color our very small Junior class. I didn't have to know Mel long to see her sweetness and beautiful heart was not fake and that there might actually be potential in finding a girlfriend I could trust. Time has taught us even more what a true friendship looks like as we've walked together roads of joy and disappointment, memory making, growing up, life questions, celebrations, heartache, and distance, through both laughter and tears. I have never doubted Mel's acceptance of me nor have I ever worried of losing her friendship. There is such an intangible security in that kind of friend. Decades later, while new friends have come to stay or leave, such a gift cannot be measured. As I contemplate turning 40 in a few months, I cannot imagine my life without my sweetest of friends, Melanie Claire (Penrosa) Medeiros. At the age of 17, when I needed most a true-blue friend to give me courage in the journey of friendship, God provided. In the years since, I have counted myself truly blessed to know and experience loyalty, compassion, vulnerability and beautiful joy in the sustaining power of this very real friendship. I'm banking on this taking us to our 80s, 90s and into eternity all thanks to Jesus Christ our mutual Friend and King. That makes my heart so very happy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment